my accountshopping bag
ya talk

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Street Style

I spent a few days downtown this weekend and, as always, I was amazed at the many different styles I encountered while walking Michigan Ave. From punk-rock wannabes with multi-colored Mohawks and black combat boots, to groups of kids in their Prom formalwear, I saw all kinds of clothing. My favorite, of course, was the multitude of wedding parties getting their pictures taken on the medians of the busy streets or in front of the famous architecture.

What I really noticed, though, was that in spite of the multitude of trendy stores and trendy people, most people were dressed very simply. Most women wore straightleg or bootcut jeans or khaki shorts, both with simple tee shirts, mostly in plain white or black. The other popular look was the summer standby of pretty dresses. I saw all styles and all prints, but I noticed that they were always knee-length and worn with flat sandals. Florals were everywhere, in an array of colors and prints. The most popular silhouettes were strapless empire waist dresses and loose-fitting spaghetti-strap A-line dresses.

With it being a hot and humid day Chicago, what this tells me is that we, as a whole, dress for comfort. We aren’t slaves to fashion and we don’t throw aside the basics because the powers that be tell us that what’s really hot this season is the most uncomfortable or impractical thing ever.

And what’s really great is that Yaya’s can help you maintain the perfect mix of comfy basics and trendy new pieces that make up your unique wardrobe. Click on the links above to see what we have to offer.

Powered by Modern Retail