my accountshopping bag
ya talk

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Reader question: What is "business casual" attire?

In an attempt better target my trend research and writing to be truly helpful to you, the reader, I will occasionally be answering questions from readers in my weekly column. If you have a question, please send it to me at kelly@theclothesgallery.com, and it could be featured in an upcoming week.


To start with, I will answer a question that I (and the ladies at Yaya's) hear quite often: Just what, exactly, constitutes "business casual" attire? This is a great question, though a difficult one to answer, because dress codes vary greatly by company. I've worked for a company where pretty much anything was acceptable for business casual dress, with the exceptions of jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and sweatshirts. I've also worked for a company where business casual simply meant that a full suit wasn't required. I guess the best I answer I can give is this: err on the side of conservatism.


A knee-length skirt with a sweater or blouse is a good start. Tailored pants of any cut, along with a casual or dressy top (nothing sleeveless), are a simple and classy look. Cropped pants may or may not be acceptable, depending on the length of the hem. Generally, ankle-length is fine, but mid calf or shorter is not. In many circumstances opened-toe and -heel shoes are acceptable, and stockings are generally not required.


If you’re concerned with business casual attire for a luncheon or other event, there is probably more leeway. You could wear city shorts (Bermuda shorts in a crisp tailored fabric) or a sleeveless top and be perfectly acceptable. Of course, if this is for a workplace, consult your company's dress code and take a look at what those around you are wearing. That is often your best reference.


If you feel that the dress code doesn't allow you to be "you", try adding some fun accessories. A print scarf or headband, an armful of bangle bracelets, or a pair of brightly colored shoes can liven up any outfit and express your true personality. Below are a few unique jewelry pieces Yaya's carries, just to give you some inspiration. Check out the "jewelry" and "accessories" links above for more.

Powered by Modern Retail